Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Marathon Sports 5 Miler in Weston


I ran the Marathon Sports (a local running supply store) 36th Annual 5 Miler Road Race the other day in Weston. The temperature was 96 and humidity was almost 50%. After mile one, I literally thought I was going to die because of the heat.

Firstly, I am a early morning runner and this race was at 7pm. I'm not used to working all day and then going out for a run, so I was already exhausted before the race even began. Also, being an early morning runner, I always beat the heat, and am not used to running in such high temperatures.

I was dreading running this race all day. The course was pretty cool, integrating all types of running into one race. We started at a high school field and the start was Cross Country style, then the major portion of the race was a road race. The list 3/4 mile was through a trail and the very list 1/4- 1/2 mile was on the high school track. Very cool course.

I used the water stops to get water, for the first time ever in a race, but only to dump on my head to keep myself from overheating. A lot of the locals were out in their yard with sprinklers, water guns, cups of water and even garden hoses to water us down as we ran by. The community spirit for this race was absolutely amazing. I would love to run this again next year, and hopefully it won't be in the middle of a heat wave!

1 comment:

  1. It's tough doing an evening race when you're used to running in the morning. I've done a couple of those and it's a challenge - throw the heat and humidity and I'm sure it was pretty brutal.

    Glad it was a good course with lots of support, that makes it a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete