Friday, June 24, 2011

For The Love Of Trail Running


 So I've discovered this little trail not far from my house that runs parellel to my normal running route. Today was the second day I ran on the trail. I ran about three and a half miles on the road and then to the end of the trail. The trail itself is only one mile long, and then finishing some more on the road to round off a 5.5 miler run.

There is definitely something to be said about trail running, and I can see myself getting hooked. First of all, the ground is softer than running on pavement, so it's softer on your legs, knees, etc. Even though you do have to be extra careful about rocks, fallen trees, and roots. Lot's of jumping over things, which is fun as well.

I love that on this trail, I've been the only one. I unplug (turn off my iPod) and just run to the sounds of the Sudbury River running by, the birds chirping, and the wind blowing. Just me and Mother Nature. It's a very magickal moment!

No crazy drivers on their cellphones to avoid, no people with baby carriages to dodge. Just me and the squirrels, chipmunks and (oh yes) snakes that dart acrss the trail as you come hurtling toward them.

Its such a beautiful and peacful thing to just be in tune to your body, as you run completely with Mother Nature.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a nice trail. I am not good at trail running - I'm always afraid I'll twist something.

    ReplyDelete