Thursday, February 3, 2011

Outlook on Running

I know for me, all this cold weather and mountains of snow has begun to make me a little stir crazy! I find it physically difficult to run in temps below 40, add to that the mountains of snow and icy roads that make it even unsafe for driving, it's been hard to get my run on.

I'm fortunate enough to have a small gym in my building with treadmills that I can get in some runs. However, I absolutely HATE running on a treadmill. No matter how I change up my treadmill workouts, I get bored very quickly and manage to only get in two or three miles before I hop off. I just can't sit there and stare at myself in a mirror for more than 30 minutes. Even with the television on, I get bored.

Running for me as always been more about just finishing the distance. It's more about getting your scheduled 10 miles or what have you in. It's a time to clear your head, enjoy beautiful scenery as you run around, and see what's out there in the world as you fly by.

That is why I really enjoyed this quote from Ultrarunner Dean Karnazes in "Shit That Dean Says" in the latest issue of Runners World Magazine - "Running has an uncanny ability to mellow the soul, to take the edge off hard feelings, and put things back into healthy perspective"

It really is so true. How many of us have had an issue on our minds, or a problem to solve, or anger that you wanted to express and simply said "I'm going to go run this off"??

So as I write this, watching plows move snow (as more snow falls) and people scrapping ice off of thier cars so they can get into work this morning, I can only keep dreaming of a day soon that involves temps in the 50s or 60s with some sunshine that will allow me to get outside and "run off" this frustration I feel at being stuck inside for so many months!

No comments:

Post a Comment