Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bakasana - Crane/Crow Pose

 So I've decided that in addition to becoming stronger in my day to day Yoga practice which includes a Bikram class once a week, that I want to start trying to master some of the harder poses. The first one I've decided to try to master is Bakasana. Bakasana is also known as the Crow or Crane position. My ultimate goal is to one day soon be able to do Side Crane!

 The Crane position helps to strengthen arms and wrists (obviously) and is a great pose to tone the abs. It also helps to stretch the upper back, and open the groin area. I tried it yesterday for the first time, and defintely felt it in the inner thigh and arms. I was not able to get my feet off the floor for long, but I'm working on it.

I've read that the key to this pose, is to NOT concentrate on lifting your feet off of the floor, but to gently and slowly move your body forward to put all of your weight onto your arms and wrists and by contracting the abs at the same time your feet should automatically lift off of the floor.

I think partner work on this pose will be a great way to ease into it. My main fear is falling flat on my face, literally. So having a partner to hold my shoulders and keep me from falling forward as I move into the pose will be a huge help. This way I can get a feel for the pose while being supported.

I mean...if this guy can do it, I certainly should be able to as well! Don't you think?

Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. Nice pic of the squirrel!

    Focus, losing the fear and breathing seems to be key with bakasana. Once mastered, you have to keep practicing. Once I stopped practicing this pose for a few months I nearly fell flat on my face trying it again.

    ReplyDelete